Applying Newtons laws question

UkIn summary, the conversation is discussing a physics problem involving two blocks connected by a cord over a pulley on an inclined surface. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are given and the task is to find the mass of the hanging block in two scenarios: when the block on the incline is moving up and when it is moving down. The question at hand is what range of values for the hanging block's mass will keep the system at rest when released from rest. The solution requires the use of Newton's First Law and two equations, taking into account the coefficients of friction. The speaker also mentions being in the same class as the person they are talking to, Stadnik.
Pearce_09
Ok the question is
Mass m1 is on an inclined surface at angle @ and is connected to a second hanging block with mass m2 by a cord passing over a small, frictionless pulley. the oeficient of static friction is u and the coefficient of kinetic friction is uk.
I first had to find m2 when m1 is moving up the ramp
and then i had to fine m2 when m1 is moving down the ramp. I can do those
im just haveing problems with

for what rage of values of m2 will the blocks remain at rest if they are released from rest?

Physics news on Phys.org
Work it out with Newton 1st Law to find the max mass to stay at rest.

U must have 2 equations for this part, I think I'm in your class haha Stadnik

Make sure you utilize Us

Related to Applying Newtons laws question

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting upon it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws apply to real-world situations?

Newton's laws can be applied to various real-world situations, such as the motion of objects on Earth, the movement of planets in our solar system, and the behavior of objects in space. They are also used in engineering and design to determine the forces and accelerations acting on structures and machines.

3. Can Newton's laws be broken?

No, Newton's laws are fundamental principles of physics and have been extensively tested and proven through experiments and observations. However, there are some scenarios, such as at the quantum level or in extreme conditions like near the speed of light, where they may not accurately describe the behavior of objects.

4. How are Newton's laws related to each other?

The first law is a special case of the second law, where the net force acting on an object is zero. The third law is a consequence of the second law, as every action force has an equal and opposite reaction force. Together, these laws provide a comprehensive understanding of the relationship between forces and motion.

5. How can I use Newton's laws to solve problems?

To solve problems using Newton's laws, you must first identify the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, use the second law to calculate the net force and the resulting acceleration. Finally, apply the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown quantities, such as velocity or position. It is also important to draw free body diagrams and use proper units in your calculations.