Anyone use a controlled substance before?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary, it would have been easier and faster to contact the vet at the animal core facility, if only I had known. It would have cost about 1500 euros to get a new license every time I wanted to use the drug, and it was expensive to do so.
gravenewworld
Has anyone here studied a controlled substance before? If so, how long did it take for you to get through all of the red tape and how did you go about doing it? Can you store it in your lab or did you have to store it somewhere else special? I wanted to study morphine metabolism since it is so well characterized, but it seems like it would be such a hassle to get some.

Biology news on Phys.org
For a while I was using Chloral Hydrate as a microtubule destabilizer- chloral hydrate is a schedule IV drug (US classification), so I had to involve someone who was allowed to order, store, and dispense the drug. This person ran the animal core facility and had a lot of experience dealing with this situation, which made the process infinitely easier. Even so, I would recommend finding something else to work with- especially since, by your own admission, you won't learn anything new.

It took me 6 months to get a license to include a common opioid medication in my research line. I spent weeks as a detective investigating who might have a license that I could hook on to, going from one person to the next. I tried researchers, who couldn't help me, I tried the hospital pharmacy, couldn't help me, in the end I found a legal representative of the University who was licensed to apply for an addition on an existing license of the animal core facility.

In the end it would have been easier and faster to contact the vet at the animal core facility (like in Andy's post), if only I had known.. it would have saved 3 months in waiting (documents disappearing on the wrong desks).

A controlled substance must be locked in a safe, even with the license in place I need to apply for a 24-h expiring license in order to perform experiments. Try and find someone who is aware of the local legislation.

I'm now investigating the use of other medications, I'm afraid that will cost a lot of time again. Oh, and it is really expensive as well. A new license costs about 1500 euros, every time an order is made about 200 euros is charged for the "special treatment".

Related to Anyone use a controlled substance before?

1. What is a controlled substance?

A controlled substance is a drug or chemical substance that is regulated by the government due to its potential for abuse and dependence. These substances are classified into different schedules based on their accepted medical use and potential for harm.

2. How do people obtain controlled substances?

Controlled substances can be obtained legally through a prescription from a licensed healthcare provider. However, they can also be obtained illegally through the black market or by falsifying prescriptions.

3. What are the risks of using controlled substances?

The risks of using controlled substances vary depending on the substance, dosage, and method of use. Some potential risks include addiction, overdose, and adverse physical and psychological effects. It is important to use these substances only as prescribed and under medical supervision.

4. Are all controlled substances illegal?

No, not all controlled substances are illegal. Some controlled substances, such as prescription medications, can be obtained legally with a prescription from a healthcare provider. However, it is illegal to possess or use controlled substances without a valid prescription or for non-medical purposes.

5. How is the use of controlled substances monitored?

The use of controlled substances is monitored by various government agencies, such as the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and state prescription drug monitoring programs. These agencies track the distribution and use of controlled substances to prevent abuse and diversion.