Aju051000's questions at Yahoo Answers involving trigonometry

In summary: Finally, we need to find the length of the sides of the triangle and the length of the hypotenuse. We use the Pythagorean Theorem:a^2+b^2=c^2We solve for $a$ and $b$:a=c^2-b^2a=8c-16ba=4\text{ ft}b=8c-16bb=4\text{ ft}
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here are the questions:

Trigonometry help please!?

Ok so our teacher gave us 34 questions to do for an assignment and I got all of them except two :( Please help me figure these out!

A two-person tent is to be made so that the height at the center is a = 4 feet (see the figure below). If the sides of the tent are to meet the ground at an angle 60°, and the tent is to be b = 8 feet in length, how many square feet of material will be needed to make the tent? (Assume that the tent has a floor and is closed at both ends, and give your answer in exact form.)

The figure below shows a walkway with a handrail. Angle α is the angle between the walkway and the horizontal, while angle β is the angle between the vertical posts of the handrail and the walkway. Use the figure below to work the problem. (Assume that the vertical posts are perpendicular to the horizontal.)
Find α if β = 62°.

thank you so so much!

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello aju051000,

1.) I would first draw a diagram:

View attachment 1246

We are given the following:

\(\displaystyle a=4\text{ ft},\,b=8\text{ ft},\,\theta=60^{\circ}\)

So, we need to find the $s$ and $w$. We may use:

\(\displaystyle \tan\left(60^{\circ} \right)=\frac{a}{w/2}=\frac{2a}{w}\)

\(\displaystyle w=2a\cot\left(60^{\circ} \right)=\frac{8}{\sqrt{3}}\text{ ft}\)

We should recognize that the triangular ends of the tent are equilateral (and so $s=w$), but if we didn't we could write:

\(\displaystyle \sin\left(60^{\circ} \right)=\frac{a}{s}\)

\(\displaystyle s=a\csc\left(60^{\circ} \right)=\frac{8}{\sqrt{3}}\text{ ft}\)

So, to find the surface area of the tent, we see that there are two congruent triangles and 3 congruent rectangles.

The area of the two triangles is:

\(\displaystyle A_T=2\cdot\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{8}{\sqrt{3}}\text{ ft}\cdot4\text{ ft}=\frac{32}{\sqrt{3}}\text{ ft}^2\)

The area of the three rectangles is:

\(\displaystyle A_R=3\cdot\frac{8}{\sqrt{3}}\text{ ft}\cdot8\text{ ft}=64\sqrt{3}\text{ ft}^2\)

Hence, the total surface area $A$ of the tent is:

\(\displaystyle A=A_T+A_R=\frac{32}{\sqrt{3}}\text{ ft}^2+64\sqrt{3}\text{ ft}^2=\frac{224}{\sqrt{3}}\text{ ft}^2\)

2.) Again, let's first draw a diagram:

View attachment 1247

We can now easily see that $\alpha$ and $\beta$ are complementary, hence:

\(\displaystyle \alpha+\beta=90^{\circ}\)

\(\displaystyle \alpha=90^{\circ}-\beta\)

With $\beta=62^{\circ}$, we find:

\(\displaystyle \alpha=(90-62)^{\circ}=28^{\circ}\)

Attachments

• tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 54
  • walkway.jpg
    walkway.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 54

Related to Aju051000's questions at Yahoo Answers involving trigonometry

1. What is the definition of trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships and properties of triangles and the trigonometric functions, which are sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant, secant, and cotangent.

2. How do I find the values of trigonometric functions?

The values of trigonometric functions can be found by using a calculator or by using a table of values. You can also use the unit circle to find the values of trigonometric functions for specific angles.

3. What are the applications of trigonometry?

Trigonometry has many real-world applications, such as in navigation, engineering, architecture, physics, and astronomy. It is also used in fields like music and art to create and understand different patterns and shapes.

4. How do I solve trigonometric equations?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you can use the properties and identities of trigonometric functions, as well as algebraic techniques such as factoring and substitution. It is important to also pay attention to the domain and range of the equation.

5. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it related to trigonometry?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem is closely related to trigonometry because the trigonometric functions are defined using the sides of a right triangle.