Aikido: The Art of Leverage, According to Steven Sigal

• Thread starter deda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the martial art of Aikido and its basis on the law of lever. Steven Sigal mentions his belief in the importance of leverage, and Archimedes' understanding of it. The conversation also touches on quantum physics and the principle of double actions, which is based on applying the level twice. The concept of Local Infinitesimal Motion (LIM) and its relation to conservation of energy is also brought up. Finally, the conversation concludes with a discussion on the mathematical expression of the double action and its potential in understanding the vector relation of forces and distances in a multi-particle lever.
deda
The marshal art of Aikido is based on and is all about the law of lever.
Steven Sigal says: “Nobody bits me in the kitchen!”

Physics news on Phys.org
deda said:
The marshal art of Aikido is based on and is all about the law of lever.
Finally something that we can agree upon (sort of). Aikido and jiu-jitsu rely on an understanding of leverage.
Steven Sigal says: “Nobody bits me in the kitchen!”
Don't get me started on Seagal. He should spend less time in the kitchen, if you know what I mean. (He's getting soft!) :wink:

Archimedes used to say that give him a place to stand and he can use the level to move the earth.

At his time, there was no quantum physics and Planck constant. So he couldn't have known that the action principle is based on the level.

100 years later, Planck couldn't have known about particle physics, quantum field theories with all its problems of uniting the forces of nature. Now, the Higgs field can be explained by using the principle of double actions, which is based on applying the level twice.

Mass and Energy can be described by the principle of double levels action.

This double levels principle is a Local Infinitesimal Motion (LIM) of one dimensional space.

The problem is how to use existing math to describe the LIM and to assert that this LIM is conserved and is another invariant quantity of nature by the principle of directional invariance.

A first shot at its math expression for the double action is:

[tex]r_i \times F_i \cdot r_j \times F_j[/tex]

Antonio Lao said:
A first shot at its math expression for the double action is:

[tex]r_i \times F_i \cdot r_j \times F_j[/tex]
Ok, I expected an equal sign in your reply but you have my attention any way. I’m curious if that double lever thing of yours can finally give me the vector relation of the forces and distances in a multi particle lever as shown here: www.geocities.com/dr_physica/bla_bla.htm

Also, I doubt that vector product can have anything to do with it cause it depends on the angle between the crossing vectors thus it doesn't cover collinear vectors for instance.

Torque is equal to the vector product of r and F.

[tex]r \times F[/tex]

The scalar product of two torques is the square of energy and if energy is conserved then the square of energy is also conserved. LIM is conserved because the square of energy is conserved.

Related to Aikido: The Art of Leverage, According to Steven Sigal

1. What is Aikido and how does it differ from other martial arts?

Aikido is a Japanese martial art that focuses on using the opponent's energy and momentum against them. Unlike other martial arts that may rely on strikes and forceful techniques, Aikido emphasizes blending and redirecting an opponent's attack to neutralize it.

2. Who is Steven Sigal and what is his connection to Aikido?

Steven Sigal is a well-known American actor, producer, and martial artist. He holds a 7th degree black belt in Aikido and has been studying the art for over 40 years. Sigal is also the author of the book "The Art of Leverage: Aikido for the New Millennium" which explores the principles and techniques of Aikido.

3. Is Aikido a practical self-defense system?

Yes, Aikido can be a very effective self-defense system. Its techniques are designed to be used by individuals of any size or strength, making it accessible for all ages and abilities. Aikido also promotes a non-violent mindset, teaching practitioners to control and subdue an attacker without causing serious harm.

4. Can Aikido help with physical and mental well-being?

Absolutely. Aikido is not only a martial art, but it also has a strong focus on self-improvement and personal development. The physical movements and training can improve fitness, balance, and coordination, while the philosophy and principles of Aikido can promote mental clarity, discipline, and mindfulness.

5. Can anyone learn Aikido?

Yes, Aikido is suitable for people of all ages and backgrounds. It does not require a certain level of physical fitness or prior martial arts experience. Aikido is also a non-competitive art, so there is no pressure to outperform others. As long as one is willing to learn and practice, anyone can learn and benefit from Aikido.