Aerofoil analysis, CFD and Experimental comparison

In summary, the conversation is about differences between experimental results and a Fluent (CFD) analysis of a NACA 0012 aerofoil. There are 3 Cp/x graphs showing these differences, with the 0º incidence results showing the best similarity between Fluent and experimental results. However, there are discrepancies in the other incidence results, potentially due to real-world surface roughness or Fluent's wall functions. In the 12º incidence case, there is a large difference between CFD and experimental results due to separation occurring on the suction surface of the aerofoil. It is suggested that Fluent's non-equilibrium wall functions be used instead. The conversation ends with a request for help to fill in any gaps in understanding.
Ma77h3w

Homework Statement

Computational Fluid Dynamics anyone? :D I know someone out there is a genius?
I'm trying to understand some of the differences between Experimental results and a Fluent (CFD) analysis of a NACA 0012 aerofoil. There are 3 Cp/x graphs of my results (plotted with negative down just to confuse you - suction on bottom, pressure top) . I need to explain what causes the differences between CFD and the experiment. Fluent is set up with pretty standard settings, standard wall functions.. etc..

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I've written so far (check attachments for graphs, hopefully they'll show up) :-

1.png

The 0º incidence results show a good similarity between the Fluent solver and the
experimental results. There is a small discrepancy with the experimental results showing a
lower Cp along the whole surface than the Fluent CFD. This may be due to... ?real-world surface roughness? ?Fluent wall functions? ... any ideas?

2.png

The 9º incidence results also show a good similarity between the CFD and the experiment.
However at the front tip of the wing the experimental results show a smaller Cp value than
the CFD on the suction surface. This may be due to ... no idea? anyone? my notes don't help!

3.png

The 12º incidence results show a large difference between CFD and the experiment. The Cp
on the suction surface is a lot nearer zero for the experiment, and flattens rather than
converging on zero. This is due to separation occurring on the suction surface of the
aerofoil. The standard wall functions used in Fluent don’t account for the separation
occurring in the 12º incidence case. Fluent’s non-equilibrium wall functions should be used
instead, as they provide a better estimation of the non-equilibrium effects in the separation.
... Not sure if there's anything I'm missing?

I will be amazingly greatful if anyone can help fill in the gaps.. :)
:)
Matt

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i got a problem that there is offset in cp plots of Fluent and experiment regarding Naca65.
Please suggest what may be the cause
Please reply on maheshvarpe@gmail.com

Attachments

• Cp offset.JPG
    Cp offset.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 418

Related to Aerofoil analysis, CFD and Experimental comparison

1. What is an aerofoil analysis?

An aerofoil analysis is the study of the aerodynamic characteristics of a wing or airfoil shape. This involves analyzing the flow of air over the surface of the aerofoil and how it generates lift and drag. It is an important aspect of aircraft design and optimization.

2. What is CFD in relation to aerofoil analysis?

CFD stands for Computational Fluid Dynamics and it is a numerical simulation technique used to study the flow of fluids, including air, over a surface. In aerofoil analysis, CFD is used to model and analyze the flow of air over the aerofoil shape to determine its aerodynamic performance.

3. How does experimental comparison play a role in aerofoil analysis?

Experimental comparison involves testing physical models or prototypes of aerofoil shapes in wind tunnels or real-world conditions. This data can then be compared to the results of CFD simulations to validate the accuracy and reliability of the computational models.

4. What are the key factors that affect aerofoil performance?

The key factors that affect aerofoil performance include the shape and angle of the aerofoil, the speed and density of the air, and the surface roughness. Other factors such as temperature and air pressure can also have an impact.

5. How is aerofoil analysis used in aircraft design?

Aerofoil analysis is crucial in aircraft design as it helps engineers and designers to optimize the shape and performance of the wings. By studying the lift and drag characteristics of different aerofoil shapes, they can design more efficient and aerodynamic wings, resulting in improved fuel efficiency and flight performance.