A question about Bohr's Effect

• Thread starter crays
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Bohr's effect graph and the relationship between oxyhaemoglobin concentration and haemoglobin's affinity for oxygen. The graph shows that as the curve shifts to the left, haemoglobin has higher affinity for oxygen, while a shift to the right indicates lower affinity for oxygen and higher affinity for carbon dioxide. The speaker's understanding is confirmed as correct.
crays
Hi guys, I'm having a little trouble with the bohr's effect graph (i'm no good with graphs). Here's one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Oxyhaemoglobin_dissociation_curve.png

From what i read, as the curve shift to the left, oxyhaemoglobin concentration increases, means that heamoglobin has higher affinity towards oxygen right?

So can i say that when the curve shift to the left, heamoglobin has higher affinity for oxygen and when the curve shift to the right, haemoglobin has lower affinity for oxygen (high affinity for carbon dioxide)

Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Biology news on Phys.org
Thank you :)

Related to A question about Bohr's Effect

1. What is Bohr's Effect?

Bohr's Effect is a phenomenon in which the oxygen-hemoglobin dissociation curve shifts to the right due to increased levels of carbon dioxide and decreased pH.

2. Why is Bohr's Effect important?

Bohr's Effect is important because it allows for the efficient delivery of oxygen to tissues and organs that are in need of it. It also helps to regulate the body's pH levels.

3. How does Bohr's Effect work?

When carbon dioxide levels increase and pH decreases, the affinity of hemoglobin for oxygen decreases. This causes hemoglobin to release oxygen more readily, allowing for efficient delivery to tissues.

4. What factors affect Bohr's Effect?

Bohr's Effect is affected by carbon dioxide levels, pH levels, and temperature. An increase in any of these factors can shift the oxygen-hemoglobin dissociation curve to the right, promoting oxygen release.

5. Can Bohr's Effect be reversed?

Yes, Bohr's Effect can be reversed by decreasing carbon dioxide levels, increasing pH levels, or lowering temperature. This will shift the oxygen-hemoglobin dissociation curve back to the left, promoting oxygen binding to hemoglobin.