A conjecture on Cesaro summation and primes.

In summary, the Cesaro summation formula for k>1 is given in a webpage, and the method for k-Cesaro sum is the same as usual Cesaro summation. The generalized Cesaro summation formula for k>1 is given, but you have not shown any mathematical working to support your claim.
Klaus_Hoffmann
After studying Cesaro and Borel summation i think that

sum [tex] \sum_{p} p^{k} [/tex] extended over all primes is summable Cesaro [tex] C(n,k+1+\epsilon) [/tex]

and the series [tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} M(n) [/tex] and [tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \Psi (n)-n [/tex]

are Cesaro-summable [tex] C(n,3/2+\epsilon) [/tex] for any positive epsilon

hence the fact that M(0)+M(1)+M(2)+... is Cearo summable 3/2+e is a consequence of Riemann Hypothesis.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
M would be what, Jose? The Mertens function perhaps? I doubt anyone here knows the definition of Cesaro summable - if you're going to post more random speculations you could at least offer some definitions.

It does not take much insight to see the sequence [tex]a_n = \frac{2+3+5+7+11\cdots p_n}{n}[/tex] is increasing, as the amount you are adding to the numerator with every next value of n, is larger than the amount being added to the numerator, 1. We can see The first sum you propose is not Cesaro Summable for k>1. For k=0, the Cesaro summation is equal to 1. For k<0 the Cesaro sum is 0.

The 2nd series in your post does not make sense, M(0) is undefined...and what makes you think that [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{ M(1) + M(2)...+ M (n)}{n}[/tex] exists? It looks to be as if it is at best oscillatory. Post a proof or any form of mathematical working...

"CESARO, Ernesto (1859-1906). Italian geometer and analyst.

Cesaro's summation formula. A specific method of attributing a sum to certain di­ vergent series. A sequence of partial sums

the method for k-Cesaro sum is given in webpage (for k=1 is the same as usual Cero summation)

http://www.mathdict.com/9.html

Using Binomial coefficient, yes M(x) is the Mertens function

The Link you offered gives the definition for the Generalized Cesaro summation formula, my previous post thought otherwise. Either way, you are still yet to show us any mathematical working to support your claim.

the idea i got from the fact that the sum of [tex] f(k)=k^{a} [/tex] (a being a positive integer ) from k=1,2,3,...,n is [tex] S(n)=O(n^{a+1}) [/tex]

the Binomial coefficient involving n+r and n for r integer are O(n^{r}) then if we put r=a+1 as n--> infinity the mean tends to a finite value.

Also if a function is [tex] O(x^{b} [/tex] then its sum/integral is [tex] O(x^{b+1} [/tex] this is where i got the idea from.

Last edited:
Since for even n we got the inequality

[tex] 1+2^{k}+3^{k}+...+n^{k} \le C( 1-2^{k+1}+3^{k+1}-...+n^{k+1} [/tex]

and due to the fact that the sum [tex] 1-2^{k+1}+3^{k+1}-...[/tex] is summable Cesaro of order (k+1) then i believe that

[tex] 1+2^{k}+3^^{k}+... [/tex] is r-Cesaro summable

with [tex] k+1<r\le k+2 [/tex]

Related to A conjecture on Cesaro summation and primes.

What is the "A conjecture on Cesaro summation and primes"?

The "A conjecture on Cesaro summation and primes" is a proposed mathematical statement that suggests a relationship between the Cesaro summation method and the distribution of prime numbers.

Who came up with this conjecture?

The conjecture was proposed by mathematician and physicist, Paul Erdős, in the 1970s.

What is the Cesaro summation method?

The Cesaro summation method is a mathematical technique used to assign a value to divergent series. It involves taking the average of the partial sums of the series, which can sometimes yield a finite result.

What is the significance of this conjecture?

If proven to be true, this conjecture could provide new insights and techniques for studying prime numbers, which are considered to be one of the most important topics in mathematics.

Has this conjecture been proven or disproven?

As of now, the conjecture remains unproven and there have been attempts to both prove and disprove it. It remains an open problem in mathematics.