40.0g NaCl that is 90% by Mass, find Mass

• Thread starter BKHuff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation is about preparing a NaCl solution that is 0.90% by mass and calculating the mass of NaCl needed. The person is seeking help on the proper equations and steps to find the answer and has not attempted it yet. They receive a hint to approach the problem using the definition of mass percentage and basic algebra. Eventually, they come up with the answer of 0.36g NaCl.
BKHuff
1. You will prepare 40.0g of a NaCl solution that is 0.90% by mass. Calculate the mass of the NaCl that is needed.

2. I don't know the proper equations/steps to find the answer, this is really what I need help with.

3. I have not made an attempt yet as I don't know how to go about making an attempt. Hopefully somebody could point me in the right direction so I can figure this out.

Also I did do a search though I was unable to find anything that seemed to deal with my situation.

-Britt

Physics news on Phys.org
Try looking at it this way first: If you needed to prepare a 100. g solution of NaCl that is 10.0% by mass, what mass of NaCl is needed?

Other hint: you can solve the question using just definition of mass percentage and basic algebra to rearrange the formula.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help it seemed I was over thinking the question a bit. I came up with 0.36g NaCl

Can't say I am surpsised :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to 40.0g NaCl that is 90% by Mass, find Mass

1. What is the mass of NaCl in a sample that is 40.0g and 90% by mass?

The mass of NaCl in this sample is 36.0g (40.0g x 90%).

2. How do you calculate the mass of a substance that is a certain percentage by mass?

To calculate the mass of a substance that is a certain percentage by mass, you multiply the total mass of the sample by the percentage given. In this case, it would be 40.0g x 90% = 36.0g.

3. Is the 90% by mass referring to the percentage of NaCl in the sample?

Yes, the 90% by mass is referring to the percentage of NaCl in the sample. This means that out of the total mass of the sample, 90% of it is made up of NaCl.

4. What other information do I need to know in order to find the mass of NaCl in this sample?

You need to know the total mass of the sample, which in this case is 40.0g. Without this information, you cannot accurately calculate the mass of NaCl in the sample.

5. Can this calculation be used for any substance that is a certain percentage by mass?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any substance that is a certain percentage by mass. As long as you know the total mass of the sample and the percentage of the substance, you can calculate the mass of that substance in the sample.