2.3 GPA good enough to get into an REU

• Thread starter Shinaolord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpa Reu
In summary, an REU group may not be interested in you if you have poor grades and poor letters. You should focus your application on demonstrating your passion for the research and how you will be able to be productive and gain from the experience.
Shinaolord
Is it good enough? Should I even bother applying? and I mean any REU, not just ones that are from high tier schools.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll probably need some incredible letters of recommendation and/or research experience at your own school.

So there's no point in even trying ?

I'd never advise anyone to not try. What's the worst that can happen if you do?

Well if the probability is as small as you're implying then it's almost as if trying to find a needle in a haystack with a bunch of fake needles in there as well.

Do you think a high school principal's recommendation letter would be worth anything?

Just to clear up some confusion here. Are you currently enrolled in a university, or are you speaking of applying for an REU for the summer after high school?

University I just happen to have that as my best reference I know I need college ones but I'm sure that I wouldn't get the most spectacular recommendation letters.

If you sent a letter from high school, the conclusion will be (apparently correctly) that you couldn't get a good letter from college.

Why should an REU group take you, if you got poor grades and poor letters? I think that needs to be the focus of your application. (And just saying "but I am really really passionate" won't be enough)

I would be very concerned. A 2.3 is a C average. It's not the number alone that's the problem, it's your work ethic and mastery of the relevant material.

To the person evaluating your application, there are three possibilities:

1.) You have straight C's in everything, including your major courses, which would make me concerned you wouldn't be prepared for the research and either unable to be productive, would require too much time to train, or wouldn't gain much from the experience.

2.) You've done very well in your major courses but failed general education courses. Well, that's good for understanding of the material, but what does it say about your work ethic if you've failed extremely easy courses like 100-level English and history? It will make them worry that you're lazy and consider certain tasks beneath you despite the expectation that you do them.

3.) You've flunked major courses but are propping up your GPA with easy courses. This will make it look like you're the sort of student who only cares about the grade, and by extension only cares about research experience for your resume, plus the other concerns about mastery of course content.

It's the first I'm most concerned about. Maybe you should spend a semester or two bringing that GPA up and passing some classes before you start looking for research.

Related to 2.3 GPA good enough to get into an REU

1. Is a 2.3 GPA good enough to get into an REU program?

It is possible to get into an REU program with a 2.3 GPA, but it may be more difficult. Most REU programs have a minimum GPA requirement of 3.0 or higher.

2. Are there any other requirements besides GPA to get into an REU program?

Yes, in addition to GPA, REU programs also typically look for strong letters of recommendation, relevant coursework, and research experience. Some programs may also have specific requirements or preferences, such as a certain major or specific skills.

3. Can I still apply for an REU program if my GPA is below the minimum requirement?

It is possible to still apply for an REU program if your GPA is below the minimum requirement, but your chances of being accepted may be lower. It is important to showcase any other strengths or qualifications in your application to compensate for a lower GPA.

4. Will my GPA be the only factor considered in my application for an REU program?

No, your GPA is just one aspect of your application. REU programs also consider your personal statement, resume, letters of recommendation, and relevant experience. It is important to highlight all of your strengths in your application to increase your chances of being accepted.

5. Are there any ways to improve my chances of getting into an REU program with a 2.3 GPA?

Yes, there are several steps you can take to improve your chances of getting into an REU program with a 2.3 GPA. These include getting strong letters of recommendation, gaining relevant research experience, and explaining any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your GPA in your personal statement. It may also be helpful to apply to multiple programs to increase your chances of acceptance.